Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Successful Trip

Last weekend, I headed to South Dakota (where I grew up) for my little sister's bridal shower. I'm the Maid of Honor, so I was throwing the shower (with some serious help from my other sister and a family friend). Thankfully, the shower went off without any MAJOR problems.

This morning, I jumped on the scale. My eating hasn't been on point lately, so I had no idea what to expect. I was at 236.6. Slightly up from last week, but the same as I was two weeks ago. Overall, I'm fine with it. It's not helping my DietBet cause, but the fact that I've more or less maintained this month is pretty amazing in its own right.

What I was most impressed with, though, is that I managed to go to South Dakota and not gain a ton. My whole childhood was unhealthy. I was over 200 lbs in middle school and by the time I headed off to college, I was at my highest weight ever, 294. I can't blame it all on my mom/her cooking (or lack there of) because I know I did plenty of my own damage at convenience stores and fast food drive thrus -- but either way, South Daktoa was not a healthy place for me. While I've changed a lot about my eating and exercise routine since moving away, South Dakota (and my mom) have largely stayed the same.

There was plenty of unhealthy food for the taking -- and I did. There were two trips to Taco John's (yummm) and donuts and drinks and all of the things. But there was moderation. And balancing the unhealthy with fruits and vegetables. And making better decisions than I normally would have(#wycwyc anyone?). And, my favorite part? There was a sister run in there too. My older sister just had a baby in January and was recently cleared to workout -- so we took advantage of it! we did 3.5 miles in total (although there were a couple walks in there). I love that health and fitness is something that two of my sisters and I have embraced over the years and I love that it is something that we can do that still qualifies as bonding.

So I'm chalking the trip up as a success and remembering that Taco John's is a once or twice a year splurge and that it's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment